Bath, unlike many of the English towns its size, has retained many of its unique independent shops. Hill House, along with Bath Independent Guest House Association supports other independent traders who make Bath such a wonderful place to live, work and visit.
There is a wide variety of shops available, selling both new and vintage items. A small sample of the places we know our guests love to visit are set out below – but there are many more!
These are some of the independent shops we recommend that you try to visit.
- Article sell a variety of artisan homewares; ceramics, linen, blankets, baby gifts, cards and body care, many handmade by the owner Lucy Simon. Hill House own several pieces created by Lucy.
- Avienda Home is the place for exclusive kitchen and dining pieces featuring exquisite art and original designs. The Placemats for Hill House is just a sample of their beautiful products
- Uber is a very special and unique shop in Bath that exclusively imports clothes and accessories with an Alpine Chic for men and women. It is one of Douglas’s favourite shops – there is nothing as modern as tradition!
- Toppings Bookshop and Mr B’s Emporium of Reading Delights are a must for all book lovers, both holding book signings and other events throughout the year
- Mallorys offer a constantly evolving array of the finest contemporary jewellery, watches and luxury gifts and accessories from the world’s most exclusive brands. In addition, their highly skilled goldsmiths in their own in-house jewellery workshop create the most exquisite pieces of Mallory jewellery and can design and handcraft bespoke one-off pieces according to your wishes.
- UpToSeven specialise in selling high quality baby and children’s clothes and knitwear. Many of their clothes are designed and made in their studio workshop in Walcott Street, and cannot be found elsewhere. They make dresses, reversible dungarees, knitwear and many more items.
- Spotty Herberts – charming, playful & affordable children’s clothes by British designers
- Grace & Ted – a designer resale fashion boutique in Bath specialising in pre-owned designer clothing & accessories from brands like Chanel, Gucci, Prada and Mulberry.
- If you are looking for something special just ask Harry or Douglas and they will direct you to the most suitable places. Items we have sourced for guests in the past include chalk paints, vintage evening wear, a second hand book on golf and ladies shoes size 8 and above!
- To find out what is going on each day, follow our contacts on Twitter @Hillhousebath to find out what is new.
- Besides the Christmas Market, there are several other weekly/ monthly markets in Bath where you can find that little something different.